Speaking of leaks

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Since my mast was put back last spring I have a leak where the mast comes thru the deck. It makes quite a mess. I put on a new mast collar, plenty of silcione sealer, mast tape and it still leaks !!!  Cannot image what else to do .....
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Tom Soko

Cliff,
Have you considered Spartite?  I did that a few years ago, and now I don't have to worry about mast wedges or leaks.  It does everything it's advertised to do.  As Ron would say, Just a thought.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Cliff, many years ago Jim Brener of Fleet 12 wrote a tech Notes in Mainsheet magazine:  stuff large diameter surplus line between the partners and the mast, fill with silicone. 

Simpler than spartite, same concept only "homegrown" -- we did it last year, stopped the leaks.

For pictures, see: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=4631.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

From Saga Owners...

Spartite Replacement Material

The following information concerning a Spartite equivalent was obtained from the
Valiant Mailing List. I have not tried the product however Valiant Owners have used the
product. The cost is about $30. The product does not come in a kit form with mixing
sticks, putty, etc. According to a chemist on the Valiant list the material has the same
specs as Spartite.

The Spartite equivalent in McMaster Carr catalog – Item Number 8644k18 -- McMaster
Catalog web site is www.mcmaster.com
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX